Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sure, You can live debt free

I never thought I would write something like this on the internet. Thanks to my sister, she motivated me to go online and share my thoughts with the outside world. Here I am writing my very first post.

Do you ever wish of having financial independence? Do ever think of living debt free? Do you enjoy the life on credit?

Well, life is certainly beautiful and too precious to fret over financial ruins and crisis. It is entirely in our hands to write or build our financial status.

To get our financial house in order, we need to start distinguishing between needs and wants. We all know what needs and wants are. We can easily distinguish between them. All we need is discipline and will power to stay within our needs until the debt is paid off.

In order to get there, we need to know what we are spending on. Lets list down all our expenses on a easy to locate and reachable place.  Every time we spend any money, it should be written down with the date, amount and type of expense like food, clothing, rent, mortgage etc. Once we know where and how much we are spending, it is easy to categorize the expenses. It is really surprising at the end of this exercise to see how much we are spending on items that we don't really need.

It is not that difficult rather you can enjoy this process and in the process you are sure to learn a lot about yourself. So, lets start writing down our expenses...

Credit Cards are not necessarily evil elements. You can really save money with credit cards. Just remember to use them like debit card. Spend only what you can pay in full and enjoy all the perks your credit card offers. Always check all the benefits your credit card offers and keep them in mind when in need. For instance, I was very upset when my laptop got stolen in NYC. Obviously there was no scope of getting it back. Fortunately, I had bought it on my credit card. I contacted my credit card, completed the paper work like forms, the receipts, police report etc and there you go, I got the amount credited on my account. I then bought even better laptop. 
There are tons of credit card with 'NO ANNUAL FEE'. No need to pay the hefty fees if you are not going to use those extra features. You may want to check this out for all the great credit cards on offer.
/http://www.creditcards.org/

So keeping our financial health in tact in really in our hands. Spend wisely and remain disciplined focusing on needs. Make of prioritized list of your wants. Set the goal for your top priority 'want' and start saving for it. I am sure you will start appreciating the process and get your financial house in order.

In the closing, I wish you and your family good financial health and I sincerely thank you for spending your valuable time with me.

I will be back with more....

1 comment:

  1. you have chosen a good topic and its very well written.really liked your laptop story in nyc. must say normally people forget this kind of use of a credit card

    ReplyDelete